Monday 30 December 2013

Best Fashion Buys 2013




Hi everyone, it's been a while! I'll start by apologising for the lack of blog posts and this is mainly due to college work and also the lack of sunlight we have in England, meaning I cannot take decent photos. When I leave for college it's dark and when I get back home it's dark!
But anyway, nevertheless, this year has been a great year for me as I've spent a considerable amount of it at Oxford Street and even better, in Topshop on Oxford Circus! During my last visit with two of my best friends, we discovered the photobooth which I never knew was there before. We only planned on taking a few photos as it was the rip-off price of £3 per sheet, but we were pleased to find out that it was broken so we could take as many photos as we wanted and it would be completely free! So, of course, we took advantage of that and now own many many sheets of Topshop photobooth photos..

Over the year, however, there have been a few clothing items that I'm very pleased I bought. Does anyone else get that? When you leave the shop feeling extremely pleased with yourself and the next few months wearing that item over and over again and just generally feeling happy that you bought it?
There have been a few items this year that have definitely stood out to me as my best buys, so I thought I'd share them with you.

First up is this dress from Motel Rocks at Topshop:

~ Motel Rocks smock dress - September ~

I actually bought this on the day we took all the photobooth photos and I believe it is in that bag I am holding up in one of the oh-so-flattering pictures. Over the summer, smock dresses had made a large appearance in the fashion world and I was yet to own one as I was unsure if the style would suit me. There was a daisy print one on asos I'd had my eye on for ages which was also a Motel Rocks dress, so I just picked this up to try on so I could check if the style and size would fit ok before ordering from asos. However, I ended up loving it so much that I bought it (and never bought the asos one..) I've learnt that I'm definitely a smock dress fan and they're great for wearing to meals out as you can eat as much as you like without worrying about the unflattering bloated tummy or feeling uncomfortable in a tight waistband.

~ Topshop Cardigan - September ~

~ Topshop crop top - May ~
~ Topshop joni jeans - August ~

Next up are these three items, all from Topshop too! Let's begin with the cardi.. Although not the most photogenic of clothes, it's still perfect in my eyes. Every time I went to Topshop throughout August and September, I tried on this cardi but I always seemed to be with my practical friend who would say 'No Zoe you're not a cardigan person, you'll never wear it!' and 'They don't have your size anyway, you don't need it!' Most of what she was saying was true - I am not a 'cardigan person,' they did not have my size the 10 times I tried it on and I did not need it. However, the day my NUS card (student discount) arrived I got slightly overexcited and went on a mini shopping spree, this being one of the things I bought and I'm soooo happy that I did! At first I didn't wear it out much; it was more of a comfy evening cardi to wear at home but I've recently been wearing it to college a lot more.

The Joni jeans pictured here were my second pair and I think I have spoken about them before so I'll try not to go into too much detail. But basically, I ordered what I thought was the pair I wanted online but I had actually ordered the very light version. When they arrived, I was slightly disappointed but it turned out to be a good mistake as they are now my favourite pair of jeans! And a few months later, on a trip to Southampton they had the pair I had originally wanted in my size so I bought those too!
And lastly, this crop top which I barely even remember buying - which is odd for me, I'm known for having a great memory, especially of irrelevant events! All I remember is that I was out somewhere with my mum that wasn't my hometown and it was just before the huge heatwave we had.. But anyway, I bought this just because I loved the pattern so much, thinking I probably wouldn't wear it out much, only on holiday, but I surprised myself and went out multiple times in England in this crop top and it ws probably one of my most worn tops throughout the heatwave!

~ Urban Outfitters top - July ~
~ Topshop shorts - June ~
Woohoo, here's an item that I didn't buy from Topshop!! I included this daisy top in a haul I did back in July when I went to London to see 'Matilda' in the West End. Since then, I have gotten a lot of wear out of it. I'm not one of Urban Outfitters biggest fans as I see them as unnecessarily overpriced but this top had daisies on, it was impossible for me to not buy it!
Now these shorts are without a doubt my most worn item throughout the summer months this year! The colour and the style are perfect and I noticed that Topshop also does them in a few other colours so I will definitely be buying some more for summer 2014! Unfortunately, today was the first time I've tried them on since about August/September and I was disappointed to find out that they suddenly seem 2 sizes too big on my waist. I'm not entirely sure what's gone on in my wardrobe as they are the same waist size as all my joni jeans so I'm slightly puzzled as to why they are so large. I guess I'll just have to put them through the wash and hope they shrink back down again.. But apart from that they are the perfect shorts!

~ Topshop christmas jumper - December ~
And last but not least, this Christmas jumper from Topshop! Again, not hugely photogenic but it looks a lot nicer in person, I promise! This sold out in Topshop so fast and I was disappointed that I missed out on buying it, however on my 2nd trip to the Topshop sales (how many times have I said 'Topshop' this blog post?!) I saw it hanging there on the end of a row and I could feel my eyes widening and I internally screamed before literally diving for it and grabbing it off the rail before anyone else could. And to my amazement, it was in my size! WHAT ARE THE CHANCES!! (This was only 2 days ago, I'm still not over it ok!) So then, I ran over to my friend and started waving it in her face and shouting 'LOOK LOOK THEY HAVE IT IN MY SIZE OH MY GOD WHAT ARE THE CHANCES HALLELUJAH I LOVE LIFE' and she just smiled and gave an unenthusiastic woop before edging away from me..
This is the same practical friend who tried to persuade me not to buy the cardi so when I tried it on she just said 'dude Christmas is over, you do not need a Christmas jumper' and did her 'intimidating eyebrow raise' that she's famous for, but I followed my heart and bought it anyway, for £20.25 instead of the full price of £42! I love this jumper so so much and will be proudly wearing it throughout the rest of winter even though Christmas is over.

Wow I've written a lot.. This blog post is more of a story of HOW I bought each item rather than why I love them so much, but oh well, I hope you've enjoyed reading anyway! Comment below what your best buys of 2013 have been and leave links to your blogs as I'm always on the lookout for new blogs to follow!


Happy New Year!! x

No comments:

Post a Comment